This salad is a fabulous combination of the Summer’s finest crops (well, at least here in Northern MI): corn and tomatoes. It was last year when I discovered the joy of roasting tomatoes when trying a recipe from Heidi Swanson’s Super Natural Everyday cookbook. These are fabulous and enhance the flavor of sweet, fresh tomatoes into something magical. Then, recently I was reading a recipe from the Meatball Shop Cookbook for Roasted Corn Salad and thought I could combine the two recipes into one. So, here it is!
Preheat the oven to 450.
Husk five ears of corn. Slice the onion into 1/4″ rings and arrange on a baking sheet with the corn. Halve the tomatoes and place them on another baking sheet. Brush the corn and onions with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and sugar.
Roast the tomatoes for 25-30 minutes.
I roasted the onions and corn for about 35 minutes and then put them under the broiler (turning once) until char marks appear.
Once the corn is cooled, shave the kernels off. Slice the onions in half.
Slice 4-6 radishes thinly.
Add everything to a bowl and and coat with 4 TB (to taste) of lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with roughly chopped cilantro.
5 ears sweet corn, husked
1 large yellow onion
1 pint cherry tomatoes
4-6 radishes, sliced
4 TB lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Preheat oven to 450
1. Slice onion into 1/4″ thick slices and place on baking sheet with husked corn. Brush with olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Halve tomatoes and coat with olive oil. 1/2 tsp salt and 1 TB sugar. Place tomatoes on baking sheet.
3. Roast tomatoes* for 25-30 minutes until tender and caramelized.
4. Roast corn and onion for 30-35 minutes. Place under broiler for a few minutes each side until char marks appear.
5. Let corn cool then shave kernels. Slice onions in half.
6. Thinly slice radishes.
7. Combine tomatoes, onions, corn and radishes into serving bowl.
8. Top with lime juice (to taste). Adjust salt and pepper and top with chopped cilantro.
*You could easily grill the vegetables!
Post by Meredith Falconer : Mom Colored Glasses