Post by Michelle, Nod’s Executive Director
At Nod, we believe your home should be a celebration of family. We’ll be featuring our Managing Director, Michelle, at home celebrating her own family with recipes, crafts and décor created by our friend Sweet Paul.
I love babies, especially brand new babies. They are so soft and small and always smell so sweet. And there is nothing I love more than a newborn cry – it’s so sweet, especially when not heard at 3 am. So how exciting that Emily and I were lucky enough to be invited, recently, to meet a dear friend’s new baby. Having been a new mom 4 times, I have a keen insight into the responsibility of this visit; here are the requirements in my opinion:
- Be as helpful as the new mom will allow – if she’s willing you should literally do her laundry, dishes, and let her take a shower while you watch the baby.
- Offer to bring dinner and wine – in no way expect to be fed and or waited on.
- Hold baby – mom needs a break.
- Bring a reheat able meal, Emily and I brought a quiche for dinner the next night.
- Bring mom a thoughtful gift and also big brother or sister, if applicable.
- Of course bring a lovely gift for baby.
- And under no circumstance, regardless of your relationship, should you overstay your welcome.
Luckily for me, I had my partner in crime – Emily to help me in preparing for this visit. This is the kind of thing we love to do together. We shopped, we baked, we wrapped and embellished the gifts and then of course we got dressed. The dressing is always a bit of a fashion show with the two of us – each trying on several outfits and accessories before deciding. It’s all such fun and we had a lovely visit and hopefully gave my friend a little break and some much appreciated company during our visit.
Aside from being the Managing Director of The Land of Nod, mother to four kids (yes, FOUR!) and a gourmet cook, Michelle is a retail junky. She’s painted her dining room countless times and changes rugs like most people change their bedsheets. When she’s not living and breathing retail, she’s weaving amazing works of art with her sister for Bourbon+Gin Weaving.