With a forecast of freezing rain for the new few days, we need something warm to eat this week. Lately, we can't get enough of this stew. It's pretty hearty for a vegetarian dish, perfect for the cold days ahead.
LENTIL STEW WITH SPINACH AND RED POTATOES
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper [ground red pepper also works]
* 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
* 1 cup brown lentils
* 4-5 red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
* 8 cups baby spinach
* 1 tablespoon lemon zest
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 4 tablespoons feta cheese
1. Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat, stir in the garlic and cook until golden, but not brown.
2. Add the cayenne pepper and cook for another minute.
3. Add the broth and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the potatoes and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes (until the potatoes and lentils are tender).
5. Stir in the spinach, lemon zest, and lemon juice, cook 5 more minutes.
6. Sprinkle with feta and eat. – from the The Pink Ribbon Diet (lots of wonderful recipes in here).
Post by Darcy : bedtimemonsters.blogspot.com