Post by Jeran of Oleander & Palm It’s still the season for treats and entertaining at our home. This Gingerbread Cake recipe with Toffee Sauce is a favorite of ours and now baked and served in canning jars it’s an extra special treat. It’s the perfect ready to serve dessert to have on hand. We spent a couple days with my family in San Francisco before coming up to my parents house. I packed up a few of these jars and you better believe we enjoyed dessert in our hotel room after walking the streets of the city. I’m sure I’ll be taking these cakes on our next camping trip as well. It’s packable dessert! I baked the cake in wide mouth canning jars and immediately sealed the cakes with their lids. Because the cake and jars are so hot, the lids seal and help preserve the cakes for a little longer. I kept mine for a week before serving them and they tasted fresh out of the oven.Gingerbread Cake Recipe
(I adapted this recipe from Company’s Coming Desserts Cookbook)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 tsp. each cinnamon, allspice, and ginger
- 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- Mix the first 10 ingredients with a electric mixer.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water and add to the other ingredients. Mix until well blended.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 pan or about 15 greased wide mouth canning jars
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 mins (about 10 mins less for the jars). Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
(This is a recipe that we make often with Sticky Date Pudding)
- 1 3/4 sticks butter
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Toffee Sauce Directions
- Bring ingredients for the sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 mins. ntil the sauce thickens.