Post by Corri McFadden of Glitter & Bubbles
Instead of buying candy hearts from the store this year, make your own yummy version! Homemade Valentines Candy Hearts are best way to capture the spirit of Valentine’s Day and it’s much more fun creating your own.
- ¾ teaspoon powdered gelatin
- ¼ cup clear soda (we used Sprite)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Food coloring
- Peppermint extract
How to Make Homemade Valentines Candy Hearts
1. Start by combining the soda and powdered gelatin in a mixing bowl. Stand by for approximately 5 minutes to allow the gelatin to dissolve into the soda.
2. Next, microwave on high for 30 seconds, this will melt the gelatin entirely so you won’t see any grainy pieces
3. With a hand mixer, add the powdered sugar slowly, ¼ cup at a time. Continue to add the powdered sugar until the dough is stiff. It will be a little sticky, but if it’s extremely sticky, don’t be afraid to add a bit more powdered sugar.
4. Next, dust powdered sugar on a clean surface and being rolling out the dough. Cut the dough into sections according to how many color you want to use.
7. Roll out the dough so it is about ¼ inch thick, then cut out the shapes using mini heart cookie cutters.
8. After you have cut out the hearts, place them on a piece of parchment paper and allow them to dry 48 hours, flipping them over every so often.
These candy hearts make delicious treats all on their own or as a festive garnish for your Valentine’s Day cupcakes!
Corri McFadden is the owner and founder of eDrop-Off Luxury Consignment. As a Style Expert and successful blogger, she hosts a weekly fashion segment on Chicago’s “You and Me This Morning”, and features “Style Recipes”, videos and Fashion “Must Haves” on her self-titled lifestyle website Corri McFadden. Most recently, she launched Glitter and Bubbles, a modern day moms guide for those looking for inspiration through fashion, food and décor.