Post by The Land of Nod and Brightly
Welcome to our third installment of Book Nook Inspiration created in collaboration with Brightly. If you missed them, check out Parts 1 and 2 for more tips. And, don’t forget to read to the bottom for details on our giveaway.
Book Nook Design Tips from Nod:
For this edition, we’ve put together a modern design that can easily grow with your young reader. Still paying attention to the three main design requirements of any reading nook, make it inviting, comfortable and quiet.
For this space, here are some of the key design elements:
- The Rad Rug is the perfect foundation for the space; it’s plush, graphic and will define the book nook.
- We always recommend layering in soft seating for a comfy spot to lounge, our Cool Beans! Bean Bag Chair is the perfect option for a growing child, as it’s plenty roomy.
- The pop icon nightlight is not only a playful décor piece, but can be mounted to the wall above the bean bag chair for additional lighting.
- A mix of cork boards and wall art can add interest in the space, and gives a place for kids to hang their latest treasures and mementos.
- A small wall mounted shelf or ledge is ideal for keeping favorite books close at hand. We love the simple design of this book ledge, as it really turns a stack of books into a piece of art.
- Of course, if this is a book nook, you’ll need plenty of room for books, and even a few toys. The Next Chapter bookcase is good choice because it’s low to the ground, which means your little one will have ready access to their books and toys.
Book Recommendations from Brightly:
As kids hit kindergarten and beyond, it’s a great time to explore different types of books. Finding books that relate to your young reader’s interests, pique their curiosity, or make them laugh will help keep them engaged with reading as they grow.
- George’s Marvelous Medicine – Wacky predicaments and laugh-out-loud moments take center stage in this short chapter book from one of the world’s greatest storytellers.
- I am Jackie Robinson – This is the fourth title in New York Times bestselling author Brad Meltzer’s Ordinary People Change the World series. I am Jackie Robinson will entertain, inform, and inspire sports-loving kids.
- Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! – Who knew being flat could be so fun? Packed with plenty of pictures and goofy situations, Flat Stanley is a delightful story that young readers have loved for generations.
- Bad Kitty Gets a Bath – Short, snappy text and great illustrations make this the funniest installment in Nick Bruel’s Bad Kitty series.
- Amazing Pop-up Space Atlas – This interactive book introduces young readers to the wonders of outer space, complete with planet profiles, sky charts, and a 3-D pop-up Solar System.
- Fortunately, the Milk – From Neil Gaiman, bestselling author of Coraline, comes a fantastical tale of a dad who runs out for a carton of milk and encounters aliens, pirates, and ponies on his way.
Looking for more great reads for growing readers? Check out 10 Early Chapter Books for Boys on Brightly.
Want the perfect kids’ reading nook? Enter to win $1,500 from The Land of Nod and $1,000 worth of books from Brightly. Ends 3/30.
Brightly is a new resource to help moms and dads raise lifelong readers. Brightly features book recommendations for every age and stage, reading tips and insights, seasonal inspirations, author essays, contests, gift guides, and more.