Post by The Land of Nod and Brightly
Book Nook Design Tips from Nod:
For this edition, we’ve put together a feminine design for a growing reader. Still paying attention to the three main design requirements of any reading nook, make it inviting, comfortable and quiet.
Half Dot Rainbow Garland / Horrible Adorables Faux Taxidermy / Best and the Mostest Wall Art / Bonjour Throw Pillow / Pink Play Cushion / Pink Graduated Bookcase / Aqua Ombre Cube Basket / White Hemisphere Floor Lamp / Candy Dot Rug / Cloud Throw Pillow / Triangle Throw Pillow
For this book nook, here are some of the key design elements:
- The overall color palette was inspired by shades of pink.
- We added a play home floor cushion. It’s perfect for comfy floor seating. And can be outfitted with a collection of throw pillows for added comfort and interest.
- The Graduated Bookcase offers ample storage for books and special items. This piece is the perfect height to pair with floor cushions.
- Adding a floor lamp brings in extra light.
- Next, add a collection of wall art that adds color or a sentiment.
- To finish the space, hang garland above the reading nook to help define the area and bring in dimension and color.
Book Recommendations from Brightly:
As young readers make the move from picture books to chapter books, it’s great time to infuse a little girl power into their reading selections. There are plenty of wonderful books filled with engaging stories, fantastic artwork, and strong leading ladies that are perfect for girls ages 6 – 8.
- Rosie Revere, Engineer – A wonderful story about a little girl who loves to build things, but grows discouraged when people laugh at her inventions. Accompanied by detailed illustrations, the book reminds young readers that failure is just the first step toward success.
- Zita the Spacegirl – At the center of this graphic novel is Zita, a fearless girl on a journey through another world to rescue a kidnapped friend. Girls will identify with Zita’s brave, adventurous, and loyal character.
- Flora & Ulysses – A charming story about a squirrel who gets sucked into a vacuum cleaner and emerges with superpowers. The award-winning book features full-page illustrations and comic-book style sequences.
- Ivy and Bean – This great early chapter book explores the relationship between two friends who make more mischief than either of them can handle.
- Beezus and Ramona – No list of books for growing readers would be complete without this Beverly Cleary classic. Kids will relate to these timeless truths about siblings and the love they share, even at the trickiest of times.
- Pippi Longstocking – A madcap adventurer with pluck, Pippi is a perennial favorite of young readers around the world. Charming illustrations by Lauren Child make this edition one to treasure.
Looking for more empowering books for girls? Check out Early Chapter Books with Fierce Female Characters on Brightly.
Want the perfect kids’ reading nook? Enter to win $1,500 from The Land of Nod and $1,000 worth of books from Brightly. Ends 3/30.
Brightly is a new resource to help moms and dads raise lifelong readers. Brightly features book recommendations for every age and stage, reading tips and insights, seasonal inspirations, author essays, contests, gift guides, and more.