Post by The Land of Nod and Brightly
At Nod we believe that the best gifts are those that run on pure imagination, no batteries required. And, what better gift to give your kids, than a love of reading. That’s why we’ve partnered with Brightly to put together some book nook and library inspiration for your little one. Throughout the month of March be on the lookout for tips from Nod how to create the perfect reading nook, along with tips from Brightly on how to build a library to inspire your kiddos. Not only that, we have a fantastic giveaway, but you’ll have to read to the bottom of the post for details. This is all about reading, after all.
Book Nook Design Tips from Nod:
No matter the age of your child, all book nooks need to have three attributes in their design. They need to be inviting, comfortable and quiet. You want the space to feel inviting, so your kids want to spend time there. Reading shouldn’t feel like a chore, and an inviting space can make it appealing. Comfortable, so once they’re in there, they don’t want to leave. And, quiet, so they can lose themselves in their books without the distraction of the tv or other siblings.
For this book nook, here are some of the key design elements:
- The overall color scheme is based on gray as the foundation color with pops of orange, aqua and yellow to create a playful, gender-neutral space. This color scheme will work well when the nook lives in a shared space, as grey will compliment most any décor you have in your home.
- The R is for Rug is soft and plush providing a comfortable foundation for the space. And, bonus, it’s also educational, showing the whole alphabet with a corresponding illustration for each.
- We added the teepee to this design as an alternative to an architectural nook. Sure, book nooks are great in that space under your stairs, or in a dormered corner, but not all homes come equipped with that sort of architecture. So, a teepee or playhome is a great alternative to create a hideout for your kids. Don’t forget to add a floor cushion to make the space extra plush.
- The Local Branch Library cart is perfect for book storage and is easily accessible to the little ones. You want to be sure they can access the books on their own, and that they’re in plain view.
Book Recommendations from Brightly:
Snuggling up in a cozy spot to read with your little one is of the most enjoyable parts of parenthood. The best books for the pre-K set feature gorgeous artwork, text that’s fun to read aloud, and plenty of delightful moments throughout.
- I Want My Hat Back – This is the simple (but very clever) tale of a bear who has lost his hat. The book’s slyly subversive ending is beloved by readers and has even spawned its own Internet meme.
- Pete the Cat – Pete the Cat is one cool customer. Although his white shoes get stained with all the colors of the rainbow, Pete remembers it’s all about the journey — a good metaphor for parenting.
- Giraffes Can’t Dance – With rhyming text that makes it a pleasure to read aloud, this heartwarming and beautifully illustrated story will inspire every child with dreams of greatness.
- Tawny Scrawny Lion – You may remember this beautifully illustrated classic from your own childhood. This Little Golden Book tells the story of a family of rabbits who convince a hungry lion to eat carrot stew … so he won’t eat them!
- The Incredible Book Eating Boy – The multi-talented Oliver Jeffers has created a story that book lovers of all ages will appreciate. Young Henry loves books – or rather, he loves to eat books, so much so that it becomes a bit of a problem.
- The Storm Whale – Written and illustrated by the talented Benji Davies, this gentle tale about a lonely boy called Noi who befriends a whale, and in the process forges a closer relationship with his father, will touch parents and kids alike.
Looking for more great books to enjoy with your little one? Check out 9 Clever Picture Books for Kids on Brightly.
Want the perfect kids’ reading nook? Enter to win $1,500 from The Land of Nod and $1,000 worth of books from Brightly. Ends 3/30.
Brightly is a new resource to help moms and dads raise lifelong readers. Brightly features book recommendations for every age and stage, reading tips and insights, seasonal inspirations, author essays, contests, gift guides, and more.