Post by Corri McFadden of Glitter & Bubbles
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! There isn’t a dessert I love more than a delightful Rainbow Cake with fluffy, homemade Butter Cream Frosting! Don’t shy away from creating charismatic cake, it’s not as hard to make as you may think it is. If I can make it, you definitely can!
- Six 9-inch cake pans
- Vegetable shortening
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 1/3 cups sugar
- 5 large egg whites (no yolks)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups milk
- Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple gel food coloring
To Make the Buttercream Frosting, You Need:
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup butter
- 1 bag (2lb) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons milk
How to Make A Rainbow Cake:
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Coat each cake pan with shortening and then line the bottom of each with parchment paper. Brush again with shortening and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, slowly mix the sugar and butter together using a handheld electric mixer. A great tip on slow mixing would be to add small increments of each at a time, then combine and repeat.
- Next, slowly incorporate the egg whites until well combined and then mix in the vanilla.
- Now combine your flour mixture in small increments with the milk by beginning with the flour and ending with the milk until everything is well mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly into six bowls. Add yellow, orange, red, violet, blue, and green food coloring to each their prospective bowls and mix until combined. Pour each color into a separate cake pan and bake for 15-15 minutes.
- To make the Buttercream Frosting, mix the shortening and butter with an electric mixer. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Then, add in the milk 1 tablespoon at a time and beat until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Once the cakes are done, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes.
- After they’ve cooled, remove them from the pans.
- Place the first layer (violet) on your desired serving dish and frost the top and sides with a spatula.
- Repeat the stacking and frosting of each layer until you’ve reached the top.
- Smooth the top and outer layers of frosting with a spatula one final time.
Cut a piece of cake and serve!
Need more tasty recipes and delicious bites? Check out our Let’s Eat Pinterest Board.
Corri McFadden is the owner and founder of eDrop-Off Luxury Consignment. As a Style Expert and successful blogger, she hosts a weekly fashion segment on Chicago’s “You and Me This Morning”, and features “Style Recipes”, videos and Fashion “Must Haves” on her self-titled lifestyle website Corri McFadden. Most recently, she launched Glitter and Bubbles, a modern day moms guide for those looking for inspiration through fashion, food and décor.