Post by Kim of Beehive Art
We love a parade and these happy canvas flags are perfectly perfect for a summer parade, party, of picnic!
- Tissue paper
- Fabric paint or acrylic paint
- Paint Brushes
- Glue + glue brush
- Glue gun
- Fun extras – pompoms + ribbons + tassels
How to Create Your DIY Parade Flags:
- With fabric scissors, cut out as many flags as you want in varying sizes. We like to mix them up, wide + narrow, short + long.
- Paint your flags with bright colors, bold stripes and dots, or fun shapes. I encourage kids to cover the entire surface of the canvas.
- While the flags are drying, cut up the tissue paper into small strips or pieces. If you have one or two flags, cut your dowel in half. We recently used the entire length of the dowel for 7-8 flags and it looked really great.
- Brush white glue onto the dowel and cover it with the tissue pieces. If you’d rather paint your dowel, we’ve had great success with watercolor paint or acrylic paint (recommended for older kids).
- When your dowel and flags are completely dry, add hot glue to the dowel and gently wrap flags around it.
- Now add your pompoms, tassels, and ribbons for fun and extra festive flags!
Kim Poler is queen bee of beehive ART. She lives for inspiring visual expression, explosions of colors, forms and exciting combinations of mixed-media art. She creates, designs art projects, teaches children art and blogs at Beehive Art.