Post by Danielle Kurtz, Creative Director at The Land of Nod
Mother’s Day is on the horizon, and it got me thinking about gift ideas for the new moms and moms-to-be in my life. On my first Mother’s Day my son was just a couple weeks old so I was still very much in the haze of new motherhood. And, I definitely had a handful of items that were invaluable in those early days and beyond, in addition to some items that were simply so special and precious to me, that they’re still tucked away in a closet somewhere 9 years later.
So here are some of my favs for the moms-to-be in your life for this Mother’s Day. (And, if you ARE a mom-to-be, consider treating yourself. You’ll learn eventually that taking care of you is just as important as taking care of your bundle of joy…but I know it took me a while to get there!)
- Nursing Pillow – Whether you’re breastfeeding or bottle-feeding, a nursing pillow is essential to everyone’s comfort. It helps support your elbow and gives baby somewhere soft to rest. Plus, with a removable cover, it’s easy to clean. I just love this one that was designed by Ashley Goldberg and made by Aden + Anais. It’s chic and simple design works in any nursery, and will look great hanging out on your couch, too.
- Baby Play Mat – There will likely be times when you’ll want/need to put your baby down. Whether for tummy time, or just to give your weary arms a break, a play mat is an invaluable toy. Our Be on the Sea Play Mat was designed by Michelle Jewel of Finkelstein Center and aside from featuring the most adorable sea life, it also has tons of features like squeaks, crinkles and mirrors to keep baby entertained.
- Upholstered Glider – Obviously this is a big splurge for the nursery, but I’ll tell you that my nursery chair was the most important purchase I made. I literally spent years of my life sitting in that chair rocking my babies to sleep, reading to them, cuddling with them and sometimes even dozing off in the wee hours. So, a comfortable, durable, high quality chair is super important. I love the Milo Glider by Monte not only for its quality and comfort, but also because it’s so beautifully designed that it can easily transition into the living room once baby outgrows the nursery.
- Baby Shoes – Okay, let’s face it, babies can’t walk so they don’t need shoes. But, they need shoes! I mean, honestly, is there anything more adorable than a pair of sweet little baby shoes. All the tiny shoes my kiddos wore are still some of my favorite mementos from back in the day. Trust me, someday you’ll look back at those tiny shoes and wonder how your 9 year old was ever that small, and how you got here so fast. These Zuzii booties are crafted of the softest Italian suede and were designed just for us by Dusen Dusen. A beautiful keepsake of a moment that’s frankly too fleeting.
- Un-Diaper Bag – I’m a total handbag addict. So, I was super excited that becoming a mom meant an excuse to get even more bags. I think I owned at least 10 diaper bags, most of which weren’t even all actually diaper bags. Just ‘cause I was becoming a mom didn’t mean I was going to ditch my fab bags for something with duckies on it. I LOVE this Baggu for so many reasons. First, this one is handpainted by STATE so it’s truly a work of art. Second, it looks like a regular handbag, but has all the functionality of a diaper bag, with plenty of compartment, and it’s fully lined for easy cleanup.
So, Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there! Hope you enjoy your day, I’ll be spending mine digging in the dirt in my garden.
Danielle is the Creative Director at Nod and an over-protective mother of two. She’s also completely obsessed with Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram and her Kindle, but not necessarily in that order. Danielle loves to craft, sew and crochet. Her current craft of choice is weaving tiny wall tapestries.