Post by Corri of Glitter and Bubbles
Get ready to light some fireworks because we have a fun DIY for your littles to help celebrate the 4th of July holiday (and you are left with some holiday décor too!). With Summer in full swing and our favorite holiday right around the corner, we broke out the water colors and started to paint on pillows– and these DIY Fourth of July watercolor pillows will make you burst with excitement!
What You’ll Need
- Medium-sized paint brush
- Mixing bowls
- White canvas pillow cover
- Throw pillow form
- Red craft or acrylic paint
- Blue craft or acrylic paint
- Iron out any creases in the fabric and place your pillow cover flat. If you only want one side painted, be sure to insert a piece of cardboard into the case.
- Put a dime-sized drop of blue paint into one bowl. Repeat this step with the red paint into a separate bowl. Place ½- ¾ cups of water into each bowl and mix thoroughly! This will instantly create the perfect watercolor to go onto your canvas. To change the tone, just add more paint to create a more saturated color or more water to make it more translucent!
- Dip your paintbrush into the color of your choice and dab onto the pillowcase. Then dip your paintbrush into clean water and make continuous dabbing and circular motions around your initial color dab. This allows the color to bleed into the water which will create a beautiful watercolor effect!
- Once you achieve the desired color, switch shades! Start in a different area of the pillow and repeat the same process. Don’t worry if the colors bleed together because it will simply create new beautiful shades and tones!
- After you are happy with your new watercolor masterpiece, hang it up to dry overnight using pants hangers. In the morning, slip it on your favorite pillow and you now have your own homemade festive décor for the summer!
Corri McFadden is the Owner/Founder of eDrop-Off luxury consignment and creator of Glitter and Bubbles, a modern-day moms guide for those looking for inspiration through fashion, décor and food. The site was launched in honor of her daughter and muse, Zelda and gives daily doses of stylish “must haves”, easy recipes and unique décor that are suited to inspire even the busiest of Moms!