Post by Christina of Christina Williams Blog
Today we’ve teamed up with Paper Source to show you two easy, yet spectacular gifts that the kids can help make for mom or grandma for Mother’s Day. These gifts are made with love and serve several purposes, so they’re sure to be a hit with moms and grandmas alike!
This tabletop herb garden is perfect for the grandma who likes to garden or cook or entertain. She can keep fresh herbs at arms’ reach so she’s ready to whip up a batch of her famous focaccia bread anytime she wants. The container is wrapped in gorgeous wrapping paper from Rifle Paper Company so it will make a perfect centerpiece for her next dinner party. Bonus: she’ll love to tell her friends that her cutie grandkids made it for her. The project takes about a half hour to complete, and a handful of supplies.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the easy Mother’s Day gift – Tabletop Herb Garden:
- Midnight Floral Wrapping Paper
- Mod Podge (I like the Matte finish, because you don’t see as many brush strokes).
- Foam Paint Brush
- Container with a smooth surface
- Herbs + potting soil
And here’s how to make it:
- Trace the container onto the back of the wrapping paper. Cut out sections of paper to fit the sides you want to cover.
- Spread a coat of Mod Podge directly onto the container.
- Press the paper onto the glued surface, smoothing out wrinkles and bubbles as you go. (The extra coat of Mod Podge helps protect it from water and dirt).
- Spread another layer of glue on top of the paper. Work quickly and use your thumb to smooth out wrinkles. Let it dry (about 15 minutes) and then cover the remaining surfaces.
- Plant your herbs
I the measured and cut the paper; the kids helped with the glue; and then they helped plant the herbs. Each kid chose one special herb for Grandma, and they were so proud of what they chose. We had such a great time making this gift, we kept going and made another versatile gift using the same concept. The full DIY for these adorable Lined Trays is on my blog.