Post by Lidy of Hello Lidy
With Father’s Day just around the corner, we are thinking of ways to create handmade pieces that are truly one-of-a-kind for all the dads out there. Like this geometric walnut clock, which is just one of those ‘timeless’ gifts that last year after year. (Did you catch that?!)
Father’s Day DIY – Minimal Geometric Clock
- Walnut Plywood
- Oak block
- Table Saw
- Sand Paper
- Clear Acrylic Spray
- Clock Works
- Cut a block of wood or buy from a craft store. Setting your table saw blade to a height of half the thickness of your board, cut a kerf down the center of the block. It might take a couple passes until you reach the thickness of your clock face. Sand, wipe clean and set aside.
- Use a 1/4″ plywood and cut to shape and size you want for the clock face. Sand, wipe clean.
- Drill a hole in the center of your clock face where you want the clock works to go.
- Spray the stand and clock face with clear acrylic spray and allow to dry in between coats.
- You may choose to spray paint your clock works (we chose black). Place the clock works onto the clock face according to package directions.
- Place your clock face into the block stand and enjoy!
I love the minimalist look with this clock. It’s also a sculptural piece that adds a nice touch to any shelf or desktop – don’t you think? I don’t know about you, but I have the hardest time finding things for the men in my life because they either have more than they need and never hint at anything which would make things so much easier!! But this clock Father’s Day DIY gift is truly sentimental, based solely on the fact that we took some time to make it by hand for a very special guy. And I think he is going to love it!